It’s a new world with increasing access to technology that we can access to improve and simplify our lives. This goes for any age and as we do on enkel.life, we look at ways to improve your ability to support your aging parents in their home. This includes gadgets for your elderly family.
Each year there is more “smart” technology, which means technology that uses artificial intelligence to help it learn how we live in our home and create specific support needs for both our elderly family members and you as a loving and caring support in their life.
Sounds scary, right? But as you will learn below it’s not so bad, and likely a welcomed investment into supporting your aging family member.
Many brands are launching friendly products for the elderly to make their lives much easier. These gadgets can assist with making them feel safe, and independent and keep them connected to you and all family members, whom they love and cherish.
One crucial example of this is a medical device. So that in case of a medical emergency, the device can prompt you as their carer to action. And with a device like this, you don’t even have to be in the same home.
Table of Contents
What Are The Best Gadgets for Elderly?
The answer to this depends but in general: any device that is easy to navigate while also meeting the essential needs of the elderly person will be your best fit.
Below we will talk about useful and the best smart tech gadgets for your elderly parents. Thereby you will be able to easily understand its key features and working performance which will ultimately help you in making the right decision for your elderly parents.
GrandPad can also be called a tablet for seniors which comes with all the essential features of the smartphone. But it is different from the smartphone as it does not have the functional complexity of a smartphone. Elderly people can easily operate this smart gadget and it has been designed keeping in mind all the needs of the elderly. This device is safe and extremely helpful for the elderly which keeps them connected with their loved ones.
- This device comes with all necessary preloaded apps such as call, internet, email, games, weather, zoom, radio, photos, lookup, etc.
- This device performs on a closed network that’s why it is completely safe for seniors and the chances of getting spam are completely zero.
- A premium service plan is required to operate this gadget, which provides features like a 4G LTE data plan, a private family network, 24/7 customer care, and more.
- It comes with – a friendly design with a durable case, a go-to stylus pen, and wireless charging.
- This smart gadget comes with 4 GB storage and is operated on a customized Android operating system.
- Easy-to-use apps and features – easy to navigate.
- Offers call and video calling, plays music, and searches the internet.
- Other simple apps like games.
- Some users may find its premium subscription a bit expensive.
- And senior friendly apps are limited which may be a drawback for some users.
This automatic pill dispenser helps remind the elderly when it is time to take their medicine. It helps in taking the right medicine at the right time so that your health remains in good condition. And that’s why it is a perfect gadget for elderly. Here are some key benefits of this device that can make your life easier.
- This smart pill dispenser alerts the user with sound and a blinking light.
- This dispenser can store a 90-day supply of ten different medicines.
- It also comes with a medication management app, with the help that one can adjust the timing and dosage of medication.
- It also offers 24/7 customer care support as well.
- Seniors or their caregivers can schedule medication or even monitor whether they are taking their medications on time or not.
- Makes it even easier to operate the device and its features via the app.
- Limited features – cannot store liquid medicines in this automatic dispenser.
- A one-year premium subscription may be expensive for some people.
3. Apple AirTag
Any person would find this device useful but for elderly people, as memory becomes an increasing issue; forgetting where their important spectacles case, house keys, inhalers, or other medication containers, this Apple device will certainly provide some ease.
So if your elderly family members live alone then this Apple Airtag can be beneficial for them. This is the easiest and simplest way to find your important items.
- This AirTag is easy to set up and easily accessible through the Find My app.
- One can easily find important items for themselves and also for others through the above app. And this smart gadget supports iPhone and iPad.
- This device also supports a home assistant device and also comes with a built-in speaker.
- This water and dust-resistant device comes in lost mode. By turning on this mode, the user will be notified when that item is detected in Find My Network.
- Another feature of this device is that it comes with a replaceable battery that lasts up to one year.
- Accurate location information
- Budget friendly.
- No option for cross-platform – only used with iPhone or iPad devices.
- Consumers have to purchase other Apple accessories.
The smartwatch is also included in the gadgets for elderly to make life easier. Because through it they can monitor their health and get the right treatment at the right time. This includes Mobvoi TicWatch which is a better smartwatch for the elderly. This watch offers long battery life and advanced health monitoring.
- The battery of this smartphone can last for 72 hours in smart mode and 45 days in essential mode.
- It works on the Qualcomm Snapdragon platform and comes with 1GB RAM and 8 GB ROM.
- It is designed in circular dial with an AMOLED display and supports Bluetooth 5.0, GNSS, and NFC payments with Google Pay.
- This IP68 waterproof device also comes with a built-in mic and speaker.
Pros and Cons
- Long battery life.
- Multiple activity features: advanced health monitoring options,
- A variety of sensors
- Lacks support for some features such as it doesn’t support Watch Wear OS 3.
- There are other watches that are elderly-specific. With better functions that cater to their needs.
If we talk about the safety of the elderly, then a smart video doorbell is one of the essential gadgets for elderly. With its help, they can see who is at the door and can even talk to the visitor through the app without opening the door. With these things in mind, Google Next Video Doorbell is a better option.
- This device offers 24/7 live streaming and continuous video recording.
- It also supports HDR format so that you can get a clear and crisp view of the person standing in front of your door, whether day or night.
- It supports motion and sound alerts on detecting visitors or any motion.
- This device operates on Wi-Fi connectivity and users can also record their pre-recorded message when they are not at home.
- Google Nest doorbell device is easy to install and has easy-to-use functionalities.
- Provides better video quality and the elderly can talk to visitors before opening the door.
- It also supports home assistants as well.
- Could be considered expensive for some customers.
- To access all features, users have to buy a Nest Aware plan.
- Only three hours of video recording is free.
The Aloe Care Health: Mobile Companion 2 is very important for emergencies. If your elderly family members are living alone then this is a must-have. This device has fall detection and access to 24/7 professional emergency response for on-the-go safety helping them and you to act in times of emergencies. This alert system also connects to other devices so that seniors can stay connected at all times, whether they are at home or on the go.
- Emergency outbound calling to a caregiver from the device*
- Find My Device lost device capability
- Adjustable fall detection sensitivity settings
- Live Locator to locate loved one in an emergency
- Offers a quick response with emergency response (even if you’re unavailable at the time),
- Works with other devices and medical emergency services 24/7.
- Not budget friendly
- To access all features you need to buy its premium plan.
- Add-on accessories have to be purchased separately.
What are Smart Tech Gadgets?
Smart tech gadgets are just like any other electronic devices but their connectivity and functionality are what make them different, safer, and more efficient in actioning a response. These types of devices work on wireless network protocols like Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, Near-field communication, and 4G mobile networks.
These devices provide smart automation keeping you safe and connected better than previous and manual traditional devices. Some examples of smart tech gadgets are smart home security systems, smart video doorbells, smart vacuum cleaners, smart thermostats, etc. These we cover in more depth here.
How Can Smart Tech Gadgets Benefit Elderly Family Members?
When it comes to smart devices, most of the time technology is linked or compared with the needs of the younger generation, but it is not so, these smart devices are also very beneficial for the elderly in many ways. Some devices may be a little difficult for them to operate, but some devices come with very convenient and easy functionality.
These devices make them feel safe and secure and most importantly, these devices help to maintain independence and keep them constantly connected to their loved ones and caregivers. These smart tech devices bring convenience and comfort into their life.
A Buyers Guide: How We Conducted Our Research?
We have selected these products based on various factors related to the needs and problems of the elderly, product features, and accessibility. The following factors are part of our selection criteria:
Price: This is an important factor for all of us as our personal finances and budget are taken into consideration by consumers.
Features: The features of any product are essential to supporting your needs. Therefore, the right products have been selected by checking the specifications of the products based on the expectations of you and the needs of the elderly.
We always try to offer the best products on the market which fulfill the needs of our users but we also want to offer a balanced approach and discuss any drawbacks that might be apparent.
Support and Refund: We have selected the products based on their after-sales services like 24/7 customer service support and if they offer a full refund.
In conclusion, as we are moving towards a technologically advanced future, smart tech gadgets are becoming increasingly important for elderly family members. Thankfully, these devices are helping the elderly to live independently and comfortably, while also providing peace of mind to their friends and loved ones.
From smart home assistant devices to wearable health monitors, there are plenty of exciting options available in 2024 that can be beneficial for elderly family members. By investing in the best smart tech gadgets for your elderly family members, you can ensure that they stay connected, safe, and healthy.
For more information on emerging products please see our smart tech page.