As you are probably seeing with your aging family member they have extra care needs. You have probably felt the need for extra attention to help support them and reduce risks to them.
If you’re like most people, and that’s okay, you just cannot watch them 24/7. This is where assistive and safety products for elderly come in handy.
Nowadays, most elders’ first choice is to ‘age in place’ because they are familiar with their own space. Which of course we totally get, everyone wants to live in their own home surrounded by their own their own home, their possessions, and their community. If we can, we don’t want to change that.
Their home, as with our own, provides an increased sense of psychosocial support and emotional well-being.
But with increasing age, they face various physical challenges like reduced mobility and coordination, manual dexterity, etc. Due to this, the ability to perform various tasks as easily as before becomes limited.
However, with the help of various assistive products, they can perform their tasks effectively without losing a sense of independence and just as importantly, safely.
Table of Contents
What Are The Best Home Aids For The Elderly?
The best support and home care products for elderly are those that help them to perform various tasks around the house with ease and comfort without losing their independence and dignity. This makes life easier, gives them a sense of security, and also supports their physical and mental well-being. So here are some essential support items that they will definitely need around the house.
Vive Stand Sssist is the best for seniors who suffer from reduced mobility or joint pain. These stand-assist bars help seniors to sit down and get up while providing a stable foundation that also reduces the risk of hazardous falls. This adjustable stand assist can be used with most seating furniture.
- It helps seniors to safely sit and stand with greater ease.
- It is made of aluminum which makes it lightweight.
- This stand assist can easily fit into any sofa, recliner, and chair with loose cushions.
- It also comes with two padded support handles.
- This stand assist can support a maximum weight of up to 300 pounds.
- The height and width of this portable stand assist are adjustable.
- Supports the elderly to stand up from the chair easily and comfortably.
- Height and width can also be adjusted according to the size of the seat of the sofa, chair, or recliner.
- An inexpensive solution
- May not fit in fixed-seat chairs or all sofers
This Bed Rail by Stander is a perfect addition to a senior’s bedroom as its benefits are two-fold. Because it can be used as bedside support and a bed rail. This bed rail not only helps in getting up from the bed but also prevents falling out of the bed.
- This is one of the perfect bed rails for elderly, as it is quite easy to assemble and install.
- It is made up of powdered coated steel material which makes it light-weight.
- This bed rail fits approximately every traditional mattress from twin to king, queen, and double bed.
- The assist handle of this bed rail can hold up to 300 lbs of weight.
- It also comes with a three-pocketed organizer pouch so that you can store all your necessary items right next to you.
- The length of the bed rail is extendable from 26 inches to 34 inches and 42 inches.
- The attached bed rail can easily pivot down 180 degrees and provide full access to the bed.
- Offers comfort and safety-related features with extendable length and organizer pocket.
- It provides a stable foundation to the user while transferring out of bed
- Prevents riks of falls at night.
- The pivot-down function may be a hassle for some customers especially those who use low beds.
- Padded handles could have more comfortable.
Supports proper sitting with correct posture. Through this seat aid, the elderly can easily sit and get up from the chair without putting stress on their knees. This is one of the important elderly home care products for seniors who deal with the lack of mobility.
- This seat assist from Carex can be used with any sofa, chair, or recliner.
- The best thing about this seat assist is that it is portable, one can easily carry it anywhere from indoors to outdoors.
- It is very lightweight and can hold up to 200 to 340 pounds of weight.
- This sit-to-stand assist does not require any battery or power to operate.
- It uses a hydro-pneumatic gas spring that compresses down and releases very slowly while sitting and standing up respectively.
- This portable seat assist is very easy to use,
- Easily taken with you and used with any type of sofa or chair.
- The seat assist is not suitable for unlockable furniture like wheelchairs, automobile seats, etc.
- The seat works on a hydro-pneumatic gas spring, it can not be locked at the desired height.
Motion sensor night light is a must-have for home safety for elderly. Through these lights, the risks of sudden falls or tripping can be reduced significantly at night. These plug-in night lights can be used in any part of the house from bedroom to hallway, staircase, kitchen, and bathroom.
- This energy-efficient night light comes with two brightness level options 30LM to 60LM.
- It comes with three modes, on, off, and auto mode. In on mode, the device is always on, in off mode the device is always off.
- In auto mode, the device automatically turns on when motion is detected and turns off as soon as no motion is detected.
- This night light automatically turns off after 60 seconds if no motion is detected.
- The motion sensor of this night light can detect movement up to a distance of 3 to 5 meters.
- Adjustable brightness level and the brightness (LM) offered by this LED light is suitable according to the night.
- Dusk-to-dawn mode means the light turns off as soon as morning comes and turns on again when night falls.
- You need a power plug in the area.
Bathroom aids are another must-have in any senior’s home, as the bathroom is a place where falls and slips are more likely to occur. A shower mat is one of the essential safety products for elderly. For more information about support aids in the home, check out our post here.
- This mat keeps the elderly safe while taking a shower.
- Drainage holes are provided in this mat so that water does not stagnate on the mat.
- It is designed with a Gorilla grip or suction grip which keeps it in place and does not slip.
- This mat is made of BPA-free materials, making it soft and safe for the elderly.
- It is machine washable and can fit into any standard-size bathtub.
- Reduces risks of falling or slipping while taking a shower.
- Grips to floor and has drainage holes.
- This mat can fit on almost all types of surfaces but this mat is not suitable for uneven textured surfaced tiled and dirty surfaces.
The memory alarm clock is one of the important home aids for the elderly as it allows them to schedule important reminders throughout the day with a large screen.
- This digital clock comes with a 7-inch LCD display.
- This product is designed keeping in mind the needs of the elderly hence the time and day display in bold letters on the screen make it easy for them to read.
- Users can set up to 20 alarms and 24 reminder tags on this clock for various tasks in their day.
- It also offers six display formats and five font color options.
- This alarm clock comes with easy-to-use buttons for further usage.
- Built-in Battery Backup
- Bold font feature provides better readability and it is quite easy to use.
- Has multiple alarm settings and reminder tags to assist with daily life routine.
- Screen brightness
- Can be mounted on wall or placed on the counter.
- The pre-programing might be difficult for the elderly.
The Medical Guardian alert system is a must-have for home care for elderly. It monitors everything from detecting falls to other medical-related things. This alert system comes with different plans, consumers can choose any plan as per their needs. Each plan comes with various accessories that can prove to be quite convenient.
- This medical alert system provides its facilities within the house as well as outside the house.
- This alert system operates on a landline connection and also on a cellular connection. The availability of these connections depends on the different plans you choose.
- The Medical Guardian alert system also provides a fall detection feature. This feature is available with some plans and you can get this as an add-on feature with other plans.
- This medical alert system consists of a wireless wall button and, a voice-activated wall button with a base unit. Apart from this customers can buy the MGMini Lite smartwatch, MGMini mobile device, wearable pendant, and other accessories for extra security.
- The installation of this medical alert is quite simple and it is easy to use. And most importantly, it provides a quick response.
- All its devices are equipped with GPS to provide accurate information about the wearer’s location.
- Offers a top-tier medical alert system.
- Multiple plans as per the needs of different customers.
- Offers different options to choose various accessories, some are included in the plan, and some you have to buy separately.
- Better coverage area, the response time of this system is quick (48 seconds).
- For additional security and monitoring purposes, its app, My Medical Guardian is also available.
- Upfront fee may hinder some people.
- Cost: consumers pay monthly, quarterly, or annually.
- Additional services like fall detection, access to the Caregiver app, and other accessories, consumers will have to pay separately.
How Can Assistive and Safety Products For Elderly Benefit Them?
The main function of these elderly home care products is to help them in their daily activities which have become more difficult.
It may seem easy but these products also help in maintaining their physical and mental well-being. The benefits of these products may be many but they can be summarized as follows.
- These products provide a sense of independence.
- These support aids help in making the lives of the elderly comfortable and safe.
- The advanced and smart features of these products provide the elderly with the convenience of seeking help at any time.
- Not only this, these products provide peace of mind to loved ones who are living away from their elderly parents.
A Buyers Guide: How We Conducted Our Research?
Your main concern while selecting these products is their functionality and how these products will help your elderly loved one in their home.
This is the criteria we use when selecting these assistive safety products for elderly.
Price: There is no doubt that almost every consumer checks the budget before purchasing any product or buys it as per thier budget. That’s why we have selected those products which can easily fit into most people’s budget.
Features: Every consumer buys a product based on its features according to thier needs and expectations. Therefore, we have tried to choose products that meet the needs of the elderly in every possible way. But we want to offer a balanced view and discuss any possible shortcomings of these products.
Support and Refund: We have also selected the products based on their after-sales services so that you can get 24/7 customer support and a full refund in any case of discrepancy.
The inescapable process of aging leads to various physical and mental challenges. But, with the use of appropriate assistive and safety products, we c an reduce these challenges and maintain a sense of independence to live comfortably and with dignity. The support aids mentioned above are just some examples of the products that can greatly benefit your elderly loved ones. With the right support aids, your elderly family members can stay safe and comfortable in their own homes, and you can have peace of mind knowing they are well taken care of.